Ossus Academy Session 8: Essential Guide to Reading

Mos Eisley Radio's podcast dedicated to discussing the lore of SWTOR and the rest of the EU.
Evan
Master
Master

Ossus Academy Session 8: Essential Guide to Reading

Post by Evan » 06 May 2012, 00:04

Took us a while (and all night), but we have finally brought you our essential reading list, in chronological order. The written timeline is available under the Tatooine Press section on the homepage.

Don't worry; you won't have to wait two weeks for Part 2.

What was that? Part 2? Yep. It's that long.
MER Host
MER Network Co-Producer
TORWars Guild Flunky: Glassau Harkoenen, Sith Warrior
twitter.com/epgelion
moseisleyradio@gmail.com

Praemorior
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Ossus Academy Session 8: Essential Guide to Reading

Post by Praemorior » 07 May 2012, 03:36

Great episode! I'll just give the list to my wife at every future birthday/christmas/anniversary as a wishlist. Lots of interesting stuff. Though I'll have to add the Plagueis novel to the list, as Sidious is one of the more interesting characters to me.

I thought I read from somewhere that Sidious was using a Force Concealment technique to hide his dark side corruption? And the lightning just destroyed his mask! Be it true or not, that's what I let myself to believe. There are too many things that are not shown or explained in the prequel trilogy! Part of why they are so bad.

It wouldn't have bothered me even if the episode was 3 hours long. No need to put it in parts.

Eagerly waiting for the second part. Maybe finally some Yuuzhan Vong stuff which I'm not familiar with!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2. From Finland. Sorry about the mess.

Evan
Master
Master

Post by Evan » 07 May 2012, 10:30

Well, you've got at least another hour coming your way, including:
the rest of the New Republic
New Jedi Order
Dark Nest Trilogy
Legacy of the Force
Fate of the Jedi
Legacy
Legacy: War
Infinities
Tag & Bink
MER Host
MER Network Co-Producer
twitter.com/epgelion
moseisleyradio@gmail.com

onus
Initiate
Initiate

Post by onus » 08 May 2012, 10:37

This is great stuff.

Neph
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Neph » 08 May 2012, 16:07

Great cast guys, just now having time to discover your guys podcast and as a fellow lore nerd absolutely loving it, can't wait to go back and listen to the old shows I have missed.

To give some feedback on the list you have compiled :

I enjoyed the majority of the selections, because it is so large though and you are looking at the essential stories to the Star Wars lore, I think it can get trimmed a little more.

LToS, Knight Errant, Empire, Republic, Allegiance, Choices of One and Dark Empire in my mind could be cut.

LToS and Knight Errant simply because they are what I believe are more side stories to the over arching lore of the universe, great stories admittedly but not essential in my mind. Yes there is some linking involved in both of those but still doesn't make them crucial.

Empire and Republic are just too vast, those comics account for a large number of ominbus and to get them all would be a fairly heavy investment. The stories that they tell, while many contribute to the lore, don't have a big enough contribution to be worth that large of an investment IMO.

Allegiance and Choices of one fall into a similar place with LToS and Knight Errant in my mind, good stories but not crucial to the overall lore, some great background info and some connections made but again not essential in my mind.

Dark Empire I personally LOVED, one of my favorite story arcs in the EU but as you guys alluded to, has been overwritten by Ep 3 and thus it's place within the lore is questionable, even though Luke's party with the dark side is alluded to in the most recent novel series. As much as I loved the story, I think on a essential lore list it doesn't belong although on a must read most awesome stories list it would be right up there.

Twin Engines of Destruction you guys even mention it is more of a favorite and not a lore choice which is fair, i think you can trim it and then later do a list that is more of a these are our favorite stories list and add it there because it is indeed one of the best comic short series that I have read, and a must read for Fett fans.

There are a few others on the list that you don't discuss in the podcast and those I believe fall into the same category as some of the others, great stories but not critical lore wise.

Very pleased you mentioned Tales from Mos Eisley because I think that is such a bargain, there is a lot going on in that book in a lot of different areas and it fleshes out a lot of background as well as making significant contributions to the lore. The same goes for Courtship, so much of that book had a huge impact on the lore of the galaxy in so many ways.

I tried long and hard to think of something that you might have missed that could be added but I don't believe I can (for the first half anyhow ;) ), fantastic list. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the second half.

Crackerbox
MER Contributor
MER Contributor

Post by Crackerbox » 08 May 2012, 19:24

Yeah, had we been going solely lorewise, we would've trimmed the list a LOT more. But like we said, we wanted to discuss some things that weren't really crucial, but were really good reads. Had we realized ahead of time that we would end up splitting it into two episodes anyways, we may have done one episode of Essential Lore and one of Good Reads like you suggested.
Leo of Mos Eisley Radio

wurgy
Master
Master

Post by wurgy » 09 May 2012, 01:21

Ahh....music to the ears. Another great cast boys. I've been trying to do these in novel (stickin with the non kiddie ones) from wookiepedia list. I got to Knight Errant and I just lost all interest in that book, and I actually made it through red harvest (go figure huh). In the middle of that I ended up having to read the new Martin book and then another buddy brought up some more books and currently I'm reading the Barsoom novels (very quick reads, prose is a bit odd since it was written almost 100 years ago but it's there).

Think I'll pick it back up on your list (probably will skip the comics for a bit) and finish it out. Picked up a bunch of them on Kindle so need to get my money worth. :) I really like my keyboard kindle and the e-ink is amazing.

Evan
Master
Master

Post by Evan » 09 May 2012, 14:38

Meant to post this, from Twin Engines of Destruction, that we used in our Mandolorian edition of Tatooine Press. We miss you, Jodo Kast!

MER Host
MER Network Co-Producer
twitter.com/epgelion
moseisleyradio@gmail.com