Lightsabers.

Mos Eisley Radio's podcast dedicated to discussing the lore of SWTOR and the rest of the EU.
Kizzik
Master
Master

Lightsabers.

Post by Kizzik » 25 Apr 2012, 11:16

With the time period we're in, shouldn't at least a few lightsabers have power packs or at the very least it be mentioned?

wurgy
Master
Master

Re: Lightsabers

Post by wurgy » 25 Apr 2012, 11:26

Yay! Sent a lightsaber question by twitter a week ago...Ossians (?) unite. Flood the academy with more lightsaber questions. :)

Sent from my Thundershed v1.5 T-Bolt

Wood
Master
Master

Lightsabers.

Post by Wood » 25 Apr 2012, 11:47

No Kizzik, if you're speaking of the Protosabers, they were like 10k bby if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in a Galaxy Far Far Away...

Crackerbox
MER Contributor
MER Contributor

Re: Lightsabers.

Post by Crackerbox » 25 Apr 2012, 13:01

He's right. Those were more during the Tales of the Jedi era. But still, I would have liked to see them in the game. I think I talked about that once during a MER podcast. It's not inconceivable that some of these ancient sabers would have survived to TOR times.
Leo of Mos Eisley Radio

Wood
Master
Master

Lightsabers.

Post by Wood » 25 Apr 2012, 13:30

Didn't they have tons of issues though? And shorted out all the time and were not nearly as effective and reliable as current ones? I think I'll stick to a Protosabers descendant :)

Wood
Master
Master

Lightsabers.

Post by Wood » 25 Apr 2012, 14:41

If my memory serves correctly, the Jedi have the Sith to thank for self contained power cells used in lightsabers. Which I think was Ulic Qel-Droma that pioneered it, and used it quite effectively against the Order for a number of years. He based it on "frozen blaster" technology, using a electromagnetic field to contain the plasma. But even those early ones ran out fast, being they were just blaster packs.

Kizzik
Master
Master

Post by Kizzik » 02 May 2012, 12:12

In Crosscurrent the main two guys (who weren't Jaden Korr) both had protosabers and they came from around 5,000 BBY which is why I think we should at least hear about them in Jedi or Sith storylines.

Evan
Master
Master

Post by Evan » 02 May 2012, 12:16

Looking at the Tales of the Jedi comics, I think the protosabers might have died out by the time of Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma. They're all sporting regular, but ancient-looking (stone, almost organic seeming) lightsabers by the end of that series.

edit: so there's about a thousand-or-so gap between the Great Hyperspace War, from whence those characters came (also, see: Lost Tribe of the Sith #1) and the Great Sith War (mentioned above).

My calculations could be off by a century or two.
MER Host
MER Network Co-Producer
TORWars Guild Flunky: Glassau Harkoenen, Sith Warrior
twitter.com/epgelion
moseisleyradio@gmail.com

WhiteFox
Master
Master

Lightsabers.

Post by WhiteFox » 02 May 2012, 13:59

If you've started a Jedi Consular, you recover the remains of what is supposed to be the first ever lightsaber; which I assume would be one of these. But then you use the parts to creat a current age lightsaber.

Seth
@WhiteFoxSG