ASF article 3 :: I love being a loser!

The personal musings of our MER forum guru and the guild leader of Shadow Squad and Shadow Guard!
Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 21 Jun 2012, 22:03

http://alanshotfirst.tumblr.com/post/25 ... ng-a-loser

Check it out and tell me what you think!

Enjoy!

- Alan

Animus
Master
Master

Re: ASF article 3 :: I love being a loser!

Post by Animus » 21 Jun 2012, 23:30

That's the primary reason I am still friends with the guys I played Planetside with. It's a little like the bond that soldiers form in war. We were part of a team and everyone played a role. I was usually the support guy: Recon, infiltrator, transport pilot, engineer. I love supporting team mates and setting them up for kills, pretty much why I play tanks in RPG's. Never the most glorious role to play but with out it, the team can't function properly.

I know people might get tired of me talking about GW2 and PS2. But I have to say that one thing both of those games have in common: They actively encouraging people to play together. Now since I have only played GW2, I will only comment on that.

- Every quest outside of your main class story is a public quest. The traditional "quest hub" in other MMO's is an actual event area in GW2 where players meet up and help complete different objectives. And the objectives can change depending on the number of players, not just in difficulty either.
- Also, there is no "tagging" of mobs. How many times have you been playing TOR, or any game prior, and came upon a group fighting a boss and you wish you had been there when the group formed so you could get in on some loot. With GW2, you can run up and start helping them down the boss. Everyone get's their own loot table when a mob dies.
- Last thing I'll say about GW2, then I'll shut up lol. Level scaling! When I was playing TOR, I couldn't play certain characters that I really wanted to because if I did, I would out level my friends. So I had to make 2 sets of characters: Some for solo'ing and some for grouping with friends. In GW2, your level scales to the area your in. So now you can take your character and go back to the noob zone and not have to worry about your friend not getting any experience loss for having you around.

Edit: By the way, was mainly mentioning these things about GW2 in that, I now believe all MMO's should have those 3 things at least. Like that needs to be the new common thing among MMO's. Similar to guild banks and queuing for PvP from anywhere in the world/galaxy. If it gets you to try GW2, that's cool too. 8-)
Other game aliases: PainRelief(Tribes 2) - ComerEste87(Planetside 1&2) - Khepri/Dägda/Moktal(WoW) - Maj. Surge(CoH) - Onuris(AoC) - Criax/Animus(SWTOR) - Criax(GW2)

Animus
Master
Master

Post by Animus » 22 Jun 2012, 01:35

By the way Alan, I do like the new blog style. I actually wish it was longer. In it's current form, it's like the couple paragraphs on the back of a book that's main purpose is to tempt you to read the book. 8-)
Other game aliases: PainRelief(Tribes 2) - ComerEste87(Planetside 1&2) - Khepri/Dägda/Moktal(WoW) - Maj. Surge(CoH) - Onuris(AoC) - Criax/Animus(SWTOR) - Criax(GW2)

Wood
Master
Master

Post by Wood » 22 Jun 2012, 02:14

I agree 100%. I can't name all the games I've spent money on, wasted money on etc just to play with my friends. Prime example, I'm exhausted of the A-typical MMO, but I continue to play ToR because if the great kinship's I've made within MERC, and to serve the community hoping to better it in the process. Animus is spot on, I loved Rift for the public questing. No spamming LFG, just run in and start helping and you'll eventually meet like minded people you want to have around. Games of all genres do 2 things for me. 1, the social aspect above all else. 2, keep me entertained with content and competitiveness. The latter fails in comparison to the first, otherwise I'd be playing solitaire or KotoR on repeat ;D
Well done sir, and I'll lose with MERC over winning with a pug anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in a Galaxy Far Far Away...

Laryyk
Knight
Knight

Post by Laryyk » 22 Jun 2012, 06:52

Agreed Alan! Wood and I have a blast losing together all the time! lol

skirata
Master
Master

Post by skirata » 22 Jun 2012, 11:17

SWTOR has been first extended MMO experience, and I definitely agree with you. I used to be a big single-player gamer but since I have gotten a taste of being a member of a community and playing with others, I have found myself spending more and more time away from single player games. It is totally worth the subscription fee!

MasterGaric
Knight
Knight

Post by MasterGaric » 23 Jun 2012, 12:29

I completely agree, even though I haven't been on in a while I like to stay in touch with the people of this guild. It one of the main reasons I left WoW; the guild I was apart of just disappeared after one night with no warning.

Sent via the Force
"Do or do not, there is no try and also a lie the cake is"