AlanShotFirst :: ep43 :: other games exist?

The personal musings of our MER forum guru and the guild leader of Shadow Squad and Shadow Guard!
Alan
Master
Master

AlanShotFirst :: ep43 :: other games exist?

Post by Alan » 20 Feb 2012, 22:02

I am a one game man. I don't two time my MMOs with other games, genres or hobbies. Perhaps you do because you believe variety is the spice of life!

Watch this week's installment of ASF and join the convo below!

Enjoy!

- Alan

Animus
Master
Master

Re: AlanShotFirst :: ep43 :: other games exist?

Post by Animus » 21 Feb 2012, 00:14

I've been playing the following games along with TOR:

Minecraft
http://www.minecraft.net/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMTedT6 ... ure=relmfu

Tribes Ascend
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2413

Games I look forward to playing:

Planetside 2
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1093

Hawken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo
Other game aliases: PainRelief(Tribes 2) - ComerEste87(Planetside 1&2) - Khepri/Dägda/Moktal(WoW) - Maj. Surge(CoH) - Onuris(AoC) - Criax/Animus(SWTOR) - Criax(GW2)

skirata
Master
Master

Post by skirata » 21 Feb 2012, 02:27

Thanks for bringing this up, Alan; it's a great topic and one that I think merits a discussion.

I have generally been a one game at a time player for many years. I will get a game, play it until I beat it and then if it was especially good, or plays out differently depending on your decisions ( a la KOTOR, ME, Dragon Age, Fable), I will play through it again. Usually, I will pick it back up 6-12 months later and play through again.
Until the last year or so, I was strictly a console gamer, so when I was on a game, it meant that the game wouldn't come out of the system until I was done and it was time to move on to something else.
With the advent of SWTOR, the first MMO I have really gotten in to in a serious way, I have been thinking a lot about this gaming routine I have and how I am going to manage my gaming in the future.
I am especially worried about what to do with the upcoming launch of ME3, a game I have been anticipating with baited breath for some time (like since about 5 seconds after beating ME2).
I really don't see myself wanting to devote less of my already limited time for gaming to SWTOR, but I also really don't see not playing ME3 as soon as it launches.
The list of other games I haven't played, or have only played for a few hours is rapidly growing - Skyrim (played not more than 8 hours), Uncharted 3, and Arkham City just to name a few.

How do some of you manage this? I am especially interested in hearing from people who have full time careers and families, since this is my situation.

Wood
Master
Master

Post by Wood » 21 Feb 2012, 07:32

I've played multiple games at once, but only after getting my main to 50. With MY feeling that endgame lacks (which many disagree with, namely the Operators which has no relevance to MY endgame) I have sought other means to fill the downtime. I dabble in Minecraft but can't go back fulltime after waiting so long for TOR. Im very excited for Planetside 2, being that im a FPS player primarily.
I haven't given up on TOR all together. I started my journey on my Commando, Shadow and still from time to time do my dailies on my Sentinel. It just feels far to similar to how I felt at the end of Cataclysm (hitting dailies and moving to another toon or changing the game) and that's a little troubling to me :/ I hope 1.2 turns my opinion around completely because I want TOR to be my only game, but I wont bang my head against the wall.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Kizzik
Master
Master

Post by Kizzik » 21 Feb 2012, 08:17

I've been unfaithful. I've cheated on TOR with so many other games. Lately I've been playing a ton of Left 4 Dead 2 and Monday Night Combat on Steam. I've also been looking for something new on XBOX as well as tooling around with various other games. Do I feel guilty? Not chance.

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 21 Feb 2012, 10:32

skirata wrote: How do some of you manage this? I am especially interested in hearing from people who have full time careers and families, since this is my situation.
Full time career, family (wife and two kiddos) here.

That is one of the main reasons I love MMOs. I feel like even if I only have an hour to play that I am making progress that lasts. I'm not just beating a level and experiencing it all alone. I am leveling a character with my friends. The social aspect of MMOs, especially with ventrilo as a tool to build relationships is why I love the genre so much.

Hope that makes sense.

- Alan

Wood
Master
Master

Post by Wood » 21 Feb 2012, 10:49

skirata wrote: How do some of you manage this? I am especially interested in hearing from people who have full time careers and families, since this is my situation.
Fulltime career, Fiance and 1 year old here. But I work 2nd shift most of the time, so I play late (11pm - 5am EST) usually and it doesn't interfere. I spend an hour or so with the girls when I get home then they head to bed. My days off are different I watch my daughter so I only play while she's napping lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Animus
Master
Master

Post by Animus » 21 Feb 2012, 16:51

I find that games are more fun when you don't play them every day. It's basically the same concept of "You don't know what you have until its gone". By playing other games, it makes TOR more enjoyable when I do play it.

I need different games for when the urges hit me lol. If I feel like shooting someone in the face, I play Tribes. If I feel like building a castle and then defending it from zombies, I play Minecraft. When I feel like leading a charge or doing some administration work, I play TOR. My RTS urge is slowly building up and I might reinstall Starcraft 2. 8-)
Other game aliases: PainRelief(Tribes 2) - ComerEste87(Planetside 1&2) - Khepri/Dägda/Moktal(WoW) - Maj. Surge(CoH) - Onuris(AoC) - Criax/Animus(SWTOR) - Criax(GW2)

Crozar
Knight
Knight

Post by Crozar » 21 Feb 2012, 22:25

Usually my attention wanders, but I have been pretty faithful to TOR. That said, when the Reapers arrive I will be jumping full bore into ME3. Already played the demo and it's awesome. I have played through the other 2 parts numerous times and actually have a save in 2 where none of my companions died (after about 5 playthroughs).

I have enjoyed TOR. About the only other game I've been dabbling in is Star Wars: Rebellion, which most of you younguns are too young to remember. It's one of my favourite games and I even bought the professional version of Windows 7 after the fact so I could have an XP emulator that would run it.

I have a 50; I am very slowly levelling my other toons in TOR. I am enjoying the game, but I don't want to get so into it and nothing else that I burn out on it. That is the big danger with MMOs, I've found.

Anyway, good show as always Alan, and I'll be sending you my guild list of topics for the summit later tonight. Cheers :)
Insanity is a state of mind.

Kizzik
Master
Master

Post by Kizzik » 22 Feb 2012, 08:38

skirata wrote:How do some of you manage this? I am especially interested in hearing from people who have full time careers and families, since this is my situation.
A lot of times I end up getting a game going with my kids. They're both into very different game genres when on their own, but will play anything in a group. So a lot of my game time is family time, which I'm always glad to get. PC gaming is strictly my time, but that's only because the games I play on PC aren't appropriate for my kids at their ages.