AlanShotFirst :: ep42 :: 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3?

The personal musings of our MER forum guru and the guild leader of Shadow Squad and Shadow Guard!
Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 13 Feb 2012, 21:23

The opinions surrounding Star Wars and the movies that are the basis for George Lucas' success are as abundant as the grains of sand on the beach. In this week's episode we explore the cinematic journey of Mr. Lucas and how we love and hate him for it.

Enjoy!

- Alan

Kizzik
Master
Master

Re: AlanShotFirst :: ep42 :: 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3?

Post by Kizzik » 13 Feb 2012, 22:31

I think the whole "Han shot first" goes back to something Obi-Wan told Luke. It's about your point of view. In the original version it very much did appear that Han shot first, but going back if we re-play the scene from a wider angle as George says we might see that it was Greedo who shot first. Or maybe it was Chewie on the grassy knoll. It means a lot to a lot people that Han shot first not because of a generational thing, I think, but because of their view of who he was as a character. He was a no-non-sense-unless-I-say kind of guy. And some of the finer points come from the actions he made, and shooting first was one of those actions.
For me a lot of this ties in to the expanded universe where every once in a while Han really will draw his gun and shoot someone before they get a shot at him and a character will make a remark about him "always" shooting first. To me this is the Star Wars I fit into. I love the EU. It creates so much out of, comparatively, so little. In this way it creates Han Solo not so much a scoundrel but as a quick draw. A guy who doesn't need the Force. He's got something better, a BlasTech DL-44 on his hip and a smug grin on his face.
As far as which movie do I enjoy the most? I'm definitely an Episode IV fan. More for the fact that it is, in my opinion, pure adventure more than anything else.

May the Force be with you, always.

Laryyk
Knight
Knight

Post by Laryyk » 14 Feb 2012, 00:12

Lets think about this scene. Throughout the conversation, Greedo has his blaster point blank at Han, basically declaring his triumph. All the while Han is slowly unsnapping his holster, preparing his blaster, and its quite obvious that he intends to use it. Shooting Greedo was probably the only way out of that situation. Even as a kid I always thought Han just shot him because he was indeed backed into a corner with no other choice. I truly think that the political correctness, and the whiny overbearing parent attitude got to George Lucus and he backpedaled. I don't believe for a second that he never intended Han to shoot first during the making of episode 4. In his heyday he was by far too good a director to create such a misleading scene.

Wood
Master
Master

Post by Wood » 14 Feb 2012, 03:26

***Is it Generational? Yes I think the love of one or another is. When something comes out during your generation, you tend to relate more to it.*** As I was posting before in the other thread, I'm a child of both Trilogies. I was born in 86' The tail end of the Original Trilogy, but my coming of age was in the newer Trilogy. The first episode I watched was VI, Return of the Jedi. Watched it in 1990 with my father and was instantly hooked. I actually wore out the VHS over the course of the next 3 years watching it. So I begged my parents to collectively (being a child of divorce) to get me the tapes of all 3. They did so, but my main obsession began in 1997 when the Special Editions released. I still have those tapes, even though V and VI are choppy from constant replaying lol. Then the Prequels dropped and so began another chapter, and my focus changed from the Jedi to the Sith. Darth Maul became my favorite character in all the series. The first appearance of the double bladed saber stuck with me to this day (I played an Assassin in beta for this reason). So getting to my point finally, I relate more to the Prequels, they were MY time. No matter what people say, Anakin's journey to Darth Vader is more intriguing than Luke's rise to Knighthood. If I had to list my favorites in order, they would be V, II, III, VI, I, VI. I just cant get into VI. I could go on for hours about why I like 123>456, but I wont bore you all haha.
My question for you Alan is, What would be your list of favorite episodes? (Most --> Least)

Kroneuss
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Kroneuss » 14 Feb 2012, 10:26

First off, yeah Alan you're pretty old...older than dirt. Did you have a pet dinosaur when you were a child?

I'm 27 (born in November '84), so I grew up watchnig 4,5,6 and of course 1,2,3 when they came out. My favourites are 3 and 6, and they are a tie. In them we get to see the final development of Darth Vader - first he succmbs to his rage and emotions and then he fulfills his destiny by bringing balance to the force, saving his son, and destroying the emperor.

As far as Iconic memories from Star Wars for me?
- Episode 3 - Yoda faces the Emperor... not exactly the ending to the fight I feel should have been there, but if Yoda just beat him down there would be no 4,5,6.
- Episode 3 - Anakin transforms while arguing with Obi-Wan to truly embrace his rage and become Darth Vader, that last scene where you see him in his mask for the first time, simply awesome.
- Episode 6 - Ewoks. Yes, those furry little bastards are hilarious. The way Leia communicates with them and they all team up to destroy some Empire walkers is great. "Sticks and stones will break your bones, and tree trunks will crush your AT-ST".
- Episode 6 - Seeing Darth Vader save his son from the Emporer and fulfill his destiny of "bringing balance to the force" is huge.

Favourite Hero from 1,2,3: Obi Wan Kenobi - I like how well they developed his character into the calm well mannered Jedi we meet as an old man in 4,5,6. He's very balanced and thinks first acts second.
Favourite Villain 1,2,3: Count Dooku. He may not have had that large of a role in a movie, but you gotta admit he's badass. His lightsaber hilt is bent and he takes on Obi-Wan and Anakin at the same time, and wins...the first round.

Favourite Hero 4,5,6: R2-D2... yeah it's not Luke, it's not Han, it's the droid. He's the only one that tells C3-P0 where to go and how to get there, and he's incredibly helpful in a bind, such as the trash compactor scene.
Favourite Villain 4,5,6: Darth Vader. Do I need to explain this one? Force Choke on people that serve him. He just doesn't give a firetruck. (Firetruck is a word that starts with F and ends with uck but isn't swearing)

The emperor just creeps me out really... never really got into him as a character. I do like in 1,2,3 seeing his development from Palpatine and slowly revealing himself to be a dark lord, but all in all, not that big of a fan of him.

I also don't think Mace Windu got enough exposure to really develop how great his character is.

Seeing Yoda fight really bothers me. How does he have the energy to do crazy flips and moves like he does, yet when he walks into a room to fight, he's limping and using his cane. I mean yeah he's ancient, BUT if he's so nimble when he's fighting, why can't he use some of that technique to get places a little faster...it's like Ozzy Osbourne, I can't understand a damn word he says, but when he sings I understand him perfectly fine. If he just sang everything we'd always know what he was rambling about.

EDIT: Firetruck Jar jar Binks. I hate that gungan.

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 14 Feb 2012, 13:11

Wood wrote: My question for you Alan is, What would be your list of favorite episodes? (Most --> Least)
Holy cow that is a tough question! I like bits and pieces of each one for different reasons. Hard to rank them without thinking long and hard on the matter.

My first inclination is to say Empire Strikes Back is my favorite, but that is from a nostalgia perspective because I LOVE the AT-AT walkers. They are the most iconic part of Star Wars to me.

I'll have to get back to you on this one my brother!

- Alan

Almon
Knight
Knight

Post by Almon » 14 Feb 2012, 15:08

Kizzik wrote: Or maybe it was Chewie on the grassy knoll.
THIS^^

Zack/Almon

WhiteFox
Master
Master

Post by WhiteFox » 15 Feb 2012, 02:39

First, great Episode Alan!

Second, G.L. can say what he wants, but we all know the truth; Han shot first. I think there is a bit of generational appeal to the shooting first, beacuse its a very western cowboy kinda mentality, and you don't really see a lot of westerns anymore, and I know kids under 20 don't even have a clue unless they had one of those parents.
But what I mean is in a western, you have two opposing gunslingers, both with guns holstered, but the intent to shoot each other is still there, and everyone WANTS the good guy to shoot first and win. Simple as that. He HAS to shoot first. It's not a game of chicken; its not a chivilrous sword fight, its a quick draw in a dusty lawless town. GL just wants to save face and make Han a defense only kinda of pansy. ;-)

Anyway, as far as great Star Wars moments for me, 4,5,6 are my favorites. But I really enjoyed the prequels, and saw each one opening night. It was quite the experience, and I won't soon forget them. I also worked at a toy store when Episodes 1 and 2 came out, and so was pretty knowledgable about the prequels when most wanted to forget them already.
Kroneuss wrote: The emperor just creeps me out really... never really got into him as a character. I do like in 1,2,3 seeing his development from Palpatine and slowly revealing himself to be a dark lord, but all in all, not that big of a fan of him.
Great breakdown Kroneuss, and I felt the same way about Palpatine until i just read Darth Plagueis. Pretty good book, and really develops Palpatine well, and overlaps with Episode 1 even from his point of view.

From 4,5,6 I think my favorite was 6, but only edging out Empire by one of Alan's chin hairs. Loved the epic space battle in 6, and the Hoth battle in Empire. Also liked Boba Fett in 5: so mysterious.

1,2,3: I liked 2 the most, then 3 and 1. I liked the development of J Fett, and and pretty much everything that didn't include Anakin and Padme in the same scene. 3 was epic for it's culmination of Vader, the Empire, and the birth of the rebellion. 1 had the most epic Lightsaber duel, and i really liked the podracing(they should expand space missions to include podracing) I had the N64 podracing games, and spent hours on that game.

skirata
Master
Master

Post by skirata » 15 Feb 2012, 08:58

So here's my take on the "generational theory".

Those of us who are Gen-X'ers (born in the 70-s through very early 80s) were kids when the original trilogy was the only show in town, and we grew up loving those movies the way only kids can love a movie. We watched it with fresh eyes, without the preconceptions and cynicism that adults bring to the table.

People who were born later, in the late 80s or 90s were kids when the new trilogy came out and had the opportunity to see those movies while they were still in that developmental period where they could latch on to the new movies the way us older folks did with the original trilogy.

For us older fans, we were already adults, or close enough to it so as not to matter when the new trilogy came out, and we watched it through different eyes.

I think this is why so many of us have such different feeling and perspectives about the two trilogies (spelling?). For me, I was already 18 when the new trilogy hit theaters. I still enjoy the new trilogy, especially Ep 3, when emo Anakin's whininess finally amounts to something in his fall to the dark side.