AlanShotFirst :: ep41 :: the companion conundrum

The personal musings of our MER forum guru and the guild leader of Shadow Squad and Shadow Guard!
Alan
Master
Master

AlanShotFirst :: ep41 :: the companion conundrum

Post by Alan » 06 Feb 2012, 17:14

A tough topic to discuss this week: Companions!

Watch ep41 and chime in with your response below.

Enjoy!

- Alan

Dimbo56
Knight
Knight

Re: AlanShotFirst :: ep41 :: the companion conundrum

Post by Dimbo56 » 06 Feb 2012, 18:33

the problem with companions is depending on your roll you normally use the same companion IE if you are a tank then you will most likely quest w/ ur healing companion (my healing companion is well geared b/c i keep her that way and my ranged DPS is really well geared but the rest of them are wearing what they started with b/c i'll never use them.)

On my healer I only use my ranged Tank companion b/c she attacks faster, and i'll never quest with my healing companion b/c 2 healers to quest isn't needed.

Remember our companions were designed when they said you will have multiple companions with the same roll so you can choose who you want to adventure with, this was taken to mean that everyone would have multiple tanking companions and multiple healing companions so if u liked range over melee or just Companion X over Companion Y (etc). Then when they changed all that so everyone only had 5 companions and each companion had a fixed roll we were left with what we have of (the majority of people) questing w/ the same companion.

On my trooper (i'm a tank) I obviously quested with Jorgen till I got Doorne on Taris, then I've used her for the rest of the game.

On my Agent (i'm a healer) I've been using Kayilo since Hutta and no one since b/c she is a ranged tank and I enjoy combat with her more then combat with a melee tank.

But I do enjoy all of my companions I'm spamming them gifts and conversation affections so i can get envolved in their story more.

Wood
Master
Master

Post by Wood » 06 Feb 2012, 20:08

My only gripe so far is on one of ny toons, apparently you have to use 1 companion to complete your story, if they are undergeared you will keep failing which sucks because I've always used my healer and they are fully geared almost, the other I haven't touched in forever but now I HAVE to use them. That kinda sucks. Also like Dimbo said around 20 or so you choose your role (tank, dps, heal) and pick the companion that compliments. Then proceed to keep using them. Well my issue is I want to pursue my romance, but I can't use the companion because their role doesn't coincide.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dimbo56
Knight
Knight

Post by Dimbo56 » 06 Feb 2012, 21:14

Wood wrote:My only gripe so far is on one of ny toons, apparently you have to use 1 companion to complete your story, if they are undergeared you will keep failing which sucks because I've always used my healer and they are fully geared almost, the other I haven't touched in forever but now I HAVE to use them. That kinda sucks. Also like Dimbo said around 20 or so you choose your role (tank, dps, heal) and pick the companion that compliments. Then proceed to keep using them. Well my issue is I want to pursue my romance, but I can't use the companion because their role doesn't coincide.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Wood what I do is when you go to town to pick up or turn in quests, i pull out the companion i'm trying to gain affection with out for conversations, then I pull out the one I actually want to quest with for combat (becareful you don't fight ur way to the end of a phase pull out the companion u don't fight with and make a decision that gets u jumped by an elite....not that I'VE ever done that lol)

skirata
Master
Master

Post by skirata » 06 Feb 2012, 22:51

I really like having a companion to roll with me, especially when their strength compliments my weakness.

For example, my main is a Commando specced for DPS, and having my healer companion with me when I am questing solo is excellent. They don't dish out much in the way of damage, but I would definitely die waaaay more often if they weren't healing me as I was laying down the hurt on the bad guys.

C2N2....is horrible. I literally would pay cash money to never see/hear him ever again. If I could kill him, I would take the DS points without a second thought.

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 07 Feb 2012, 00:43

skirata wrote:C2N2....is horrible. I literally would pay cash money to never see/hear him ever again. If I could kill him, I would take the DS points without a second thought.
Yup! :D

- Alan

Elkatt
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Elkatt » 07 Feb 2012, 05:21

I do like C2-N2, but I don't want to hear him so often. He seems to flap his mouth 80% of the times I walk past him. If there were settings in the preferences that allowed me to change that to 5-10%, I think he would get a little more love.
Twitter @JediElkatt
Scoundrel & Jedi Knight, Elkat on swtor.com, MER's tallest fan

pizpiz80
Initiate
Initiate

Post by pizpiz80 » 07 Feb 2012, 05:34

Elkatt wrote:I do like C2-N2, but I don't want to hear him so often. He seems to flap his mouth 80% of the times I walk past him. If there were settings in the preferences that allowed me to change that to 5-10%, I think he would get a little more love.
I totally agree with this. :lol:

Sometimes i also wish that the companions had their own talent trees.

Elkatt
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Elkatt » 07 Feb 2012, 06:00

Here's another idea, if you have enough dark side points, you can place a restraining bolt on your droid and give them a shock that will silence them for the next twenty encounters.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Twitter @JediElkatt
Scoundrel & Jedi Knight, Elkat on swtor.com, MER's tallest fan

Kimarhri
Master
Master

Post by Kimarhri » 07 Feb 2012, 13:19

Haha the ship droids don't annoy me as much as you guys :P

No companions have annoyed me at all. Even the ones that people hate like Aric or Corso are ok in my book. I love all the Jedi Knight companions, they are all different, fun and a blast to talk to. The A.I of the companions though is bad but I guess that's for another topic.