AlanShotFirst :: ep37 :: story story story

The personal musings of our MER forum guru and the guild leader of Shadow Squad and Shadow Guard!
Alan
Master
Master

AlanShotFirst :: ep37 :: story story story

Post by Alan » 03 Jan 2012, 20:15

If we heard it once, we heard it a thousand times...when asked what makes SWTOR unique, BioWare employees said, "Story, story, story!"

Watch this week's video and join in with your opinion!

Enjoy!

- Alan

NO SPOILERS!!!

evenflow58
Padawan
Padawan

Re: AlanShotFirst :: ep37 :: story story story

Post by evenflow58 » 03 Jan 2012, 22:31

I didn't feel the first chapter of my class ended in an epic matter but I'm hoping that's saved for later chapters. I really enjoyed the Alderann side quests though. Especially when you consider the Imps are trying to do the exact opposite as you.

I agree on the "last hope" syndrome that seems afflict everybody in the galaxy but without that a quest is kind of meaningless. I'm not sure what the alternative to that is.

In the end I'm still enjoying the game and the quests have done their job in that I'm 35 and haven't felt the game dragging at all like I have around this point in other MMOs.

Koujow
Master
Master

Post by Koujow » 03 Jan 2012, 22:34

Well Alan, considering that you and I play the same class, this makes me nervous about the next 9+ levels. So your ambiguity does nothing! :O (jk)

So far on my (ambiguous class) I am kind of disappointed. During beta, I played the (Ambiguous Mirror class) and it was amazing. For MERC, I rolled my main and hoped for the same. While none of the stories are bad, it defiantly doesn't have the same... something? I don't know what, exactly, but it isn't as cool or fun or interesting as the (Ambiguous Mirror class).

There Alan, is that ambiguous enough for you? :P
If not, then how about this?

I can not confirm nor deny if my class quest is fun and interesting. Now move along.

Edit: Concerning the 'Only Hope' subject, well... yeah? I mean, if someone walked up to you and was like "Hey, we are going to kill a bunch of those bad guys, but don't worry about it. We totally have more than enough manpower to do it," would you even accept whatever he had to do. Unless it was "we have more than enough manpower, can you go get me a coffee?" :P

Laryyk
Knight
Knight

Post by Laryyk » 04 Jan 2012, 00:44

Well, being lvl 44, I've seen a good chunk of my class storyline. Some of the things about it were blatantly predictable, but I think it was mostly because I read the novels. It really didn't bother me too much.

I'm honestly not being too picky about the details, because its an mmo. BW tried their damndest to give everyone their own story.. They even said during the whole "How can a smuggler stand up to a jedi or sith" controversy: "Remember, yes you're a smuggler, but you're the best smuggler in the galaxy."

So that means that there are about 350,000 best smugglers in the galaxy, right? In the social world of swtor that's ridiculous, but for the individual storyline, it makes sense. From that point of view, maybe you really are everyone in the galaxy's last hope :D

Maybe BW could have integrated the story to include acknowledgement of all the other players running around, but that would take some brilliant writing. (Oh, hi there. Ya that problem was already solved about 57 times today, but you can go for it anyway.) :lol:

A few annoying bugs aside, I'm really happy with the writing. Best part is, when I get tired of the story on my main character, I can always check out the story on an alt :mrgreen:

Great vidcast as usual, and Happy Birthday!!

Elkatt
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Elkatt » 04 Jan 2012, 01:49

Yep, another good Vidcast. I just skipped some side quests so that I could finish chapter one and get my Legacy. I did really enjoy the story and like I've heard others say, I kept forgetting to train my new abilities because I was enjoying the story and the view so much. I found the side quests not as interesting and kind of distracting from the main story. Now that I've finished the chapter, I can go back and finish that last planet.
Twitter @JediElkatt
Scoundrel & Jedi Knight, Elkat on swtor.com, MER's tallest fan

Snodge
Master
Master

Post by Snodge » 04 Jan 2012, 12:58

I was fine with my class story up to near the end of chapter 2. Then it got horrible and I really don't like what came after that. In some ways I prefer some of the minor planet quests, as they felt quite a lot different from the main class quests, like some on Tatooine or Alderaan.
@Snodgethebodge
f: Hugh Jones
Google+
MSI 790FX-GD70 Mainboard || AMD Phenom X4 965 || 8gb RAM || 1gb ATI 5870 Radeon || 256gb SSD + 250gb SATA2 || Asus Xonar Xense Soundcard || Win 7 x64 SP1

Kizzik
Master
Master

Post by Kizzik » 04 Jan 2012, 14:48

I know I'm getting close to the end of Act 1 for my class story. It's been a big build up and I hope I'm not let down. So far I've enjoyed everything. If you take away all the cut scenes, phases, and production it's just another MMO, but it's got all that stuff which is part o what makes it great. I understand the "Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope." approach that Bioware took with a lot of the openings to the various missions, but there are others where you approach someone and the NPC is hesitant to deal with you as well. Being the class I am not every NPC looks at me and wants to talk. I've had to work to get them to talk sometimes and it's great! For me it brings a bit more of the role-playing into the MMO genre.

Rakshasa
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Rakshasa » 04 Jan 2012, 22:28

Clearly, there will be an expansion.

briananderson
Initiate
Initiate

Post by briananderson » 05 Jan 2012, 15:54

Loving it so far, but still very green (level 16 Jedi Shadow). I'm actually looking forward to finishing Act One on this character, and then trying out a totally different character and going through that storyline. To me, its like watching an awesome TV series season from the perspective of one character, and then going back to watch the season again from another perspective and learning the whole universe's Act One story, one character at a time. Love it so far!

DarthPlow
Master
Master

Post by DarthPlow » 05 Jan 2012, 16:46

My story had a little bit of a slow burn to start but has become really exciting. My favorite past was when I did the stuff with the thing at the place with the dude in it. :P