Open Bounty 003: Space Combat

Discuss past episodes of Open Bounty here!
Rakshasa
Padawan
Padawan

Re: Open Bounty 003: Space Combat

Post by Rakshasa » 04 Mar 2011, 23:32

I commented on some of these exact points a while back, even citing Episode III's opening as an example of how the movies often lend to a rail-shooter style action. After thinking about it more, even the iconic Star Wars battle of the Death Star trench is the same. Someone replied, saying how they were glad to hear a voice of reason in a sea of trolls, and that it made them regain hope for the game. I can only hope this episode helps people think and reflect before they dismiss, as well. Glad you revisited an older topic for Open Bounty.

I swear there was a period they removed the Space Combat video from their site, though I see it available now. Too many people badmouthing the "totally on rails combat," or was I just imagining this?

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 04 Mar 2011, 23:49

Welcome to the community Rakshasa! Some good points there. So much hate for such a small part of the game. Bring on the rails I say!! :D

- Alan

WhiteFox
Master
Master

Post by WhiteFox » 05 Mar 2011, 01:06

Great Episode guys!

But i'm truly sad that you never have experienced Star Wars simulator space combat! While the games you referenced as having played were good games, they were totally different compared to the original X-Wing, Tie Fighter games, or even the Star Wars Galaxies space expansion. The most recent star wars space games were great, but there is something missing in the 3rd person perspective of space combat. It's like trying to play a FPS in the 3rd person perspective. It can be fun, but there is something missing, can't aim as well. In fact, to get a better understanding, I think you should do a little research; a little homework if you are up for the challenge.

HOMEWORK:
Go get Star Wars Galaxies on Steam($9 for 30 days on all the expansions last i looked) and play the space combat. It's probably as close to the old X-Wing and Tie Fighter games on DOS back in the day. Plus you can look at player housing and a range of other things. I'd love a revisited conversation from the other perspective. If not, I won't think less of you guys, but think about it.

I have not problems though, with how Bioware chooses to craft their own nich in space combat. They can be guided battles and still be great fun, I'd point to the space combat in Halo Reach as example. I only wish there could be a multiplayer aspect, but I guess they can save something for an expansion. :-)

Anyone else agree?

vinnypop
Knight
Knight

Post by vinnypop » 05 Mar 2011, 12:51

i can agree with that! damn i wish i could find my old x wing vs tie fighter games.... and a computer old enough to run them...
"To break the mold does not prove genius, it merely shows you can break things."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"sir the rebels are here!"
"well, what do they want?"
"I don't know sir, but they brought a flag..."

kev144
Knight
Knight

Post by kev144 » 05 Mar 2011, 14:21

I noticed that in each ship tour video, it shows a pretty fancy bedroom. Maybe hat would be the player's room and you can hang all of your trophies in there or something. This leads me to believe that player housing will be your ship.

Just a thought

Also, does anyone think it would be cool to have PvP space combat?

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 05 Mar 2011, 14:30

Kev144 - the ship has been confirmed as player housing. So, your assumption is correct my friend! ;)

skirata
Master
Master

Post by skirata » 05 Mar 2011, 15:09

Great video guys! I love the brick alley background!

Personally, I am glad they are giving space combat the "on rails" treatment. The space combat in Battlefront II was in all 3 dimensions, and for someone (such as myself) with little experience in that type of gaming it was very difficult to get used to. However, just having to move a ship up down left and right with the game controlling your direction will make it much more practical and accessible to people that haven't spend hours and hours playing flight simulator games.

I'm totally on board with your ship being your house. I think Bioware did a great job in ME2 with making SSV Normandy your house, I was especially a fan of havinig a huge aquarium in Shepards bedroom, it added a nice touch of decoration. I think as the game progresses we'll be able to customize and decorate the ship's interior more and more.

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 05 Mar 2011, 16:57

skirata wrote:Great video guys! I love the brick alley background!

Personally, I am glad they are giving space combat the "on rails" treatment. The space combat in Battlefront II was in all 3 dimensions, and for someone (such as myself) with little experience in that type of gaming it was very difficult to get used to. However, just having to move a ship up down left and right with the game controlling your direction will make it much more practical and accessible to people that haven't spend hours and hours playing flight simulator games.

I'm totally on board with your ship being your house. I think Bioware did a great job in ME2 with making SSV Normandy your house, I was especially a fan of havinig a huge aquarium in Shepards bedroom, it added a nice touch of decoration. I think as the game progresses we'll be able to customize and decorate the ship's interior more and more.

SKIRATA - excellent summary of my thoughts sir! ;)

rokudan
Padawan
Padawan

Post by rokudan » 06 Mar 2011, 13:55

Zach wrote:
rokudan wrote:For space combat I miss Rogue Squadron. For space tactical combat if anyone remembers Homeworld thats a great game.

I love Homeworld. I remember Brooks and I had this lan one time where we played Homeworld and crashed the game because we had too many starships in combat at the same time. I think there were about 8 people playing the game.

I keep hoping to find the game on steam so I can play it again. Doubt it ever will though. Still, you should download the music from the game. Its awsome.

Zach
Master
Master

Post by Zach » 06 Mar 2011, 17:05

rokudan wrote:
Zach wrote:
rokudan wrote:For space combat I miss Rogue Squadron. For space tactical combat if anyone remembers Homeworld thats a great game.

I love Homeworld. I remember Brooks and I had this lan one time where we played Homeworld and crashed the game because we had too many starships in combat at the same time. I think there were about 8 people playing the game.

I keep hoping to find the game on steam so I can play it again. Doubt it ever will though. Still, you should download the music from the game. Its awsome.

Did you ever play that Star Wars game which sort of pre-dated Homeworld that was similar to it? It was called Rebellion I think. I used to play it for days on end.