Open Bounty 003: Space Combat

Discuss past episodes of Open Bounty here!
Moti
Knight
Knight

Re: Open Bounty 003: Space Combat

Post by Moti » 03 Mar 2011, 07:59

I would like to see space combat as a big thing but i also want it to work and dont mind waiting for them to add it in big style after launch.

Think it would be epic to see guilding getting massive ships as a guild hall sort of thing like the small one is a players house. Prob in an expansion when empire and republic start waring again and then u can go up agasinst other guilds Ships in massive space battles. Would also make a good money sink if u had to pay to fix the ship after, or buy a new one if u lost big time.

vinnypop
Knight
Knight

Post by vinnypop » 03 Mar 2011, 11:49

my hopes for space are that its more sandboxish and scince we know that this is starfox on roids (not a bad thing, starfox was cool and so were the zone of enders games.) so im not going to get my self all excited, just to have my dreams dash upon the space flotsam. I will still enjoy getting of planet and mixing it up a bit. The focus of the game is Ground combat, using your force given power for good or for ill, to save or burn the republic face to face with your foes.
"To break the mold does not prove genius, it merely shows you can break things."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"sir the rebels are here!"
"well, what do they want?"
"I don't know sir, but they brought a flag..."

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 03 Mar 2011, 11:53

Perhaps by experiencing Star Wars space combat "on rails" will calm some of your fears?

Browse over to: http://www.clonewarsadventures.com/?cid=1062766

Create an account. Download the client (it is browser based).

Play the space combat game. The theatrical presentation and the graphic backdrops are quite compelling and exciting. My son loves them and I find myself getting quite a bit of enjoyment from playing it as well. If TOR's space combat is similar, I will be pleased.

Now get to playing!!!

- Alan

Nemuel
Knight
Knight

Post by Nemuel » 03 Mar 2011, 13:21

Im not really sure about the space combat thing, im not a fan of the space shooters so them spending alot of time on something like this is a shame in my opinion. It seems ok but i hope its not to much of a hassle for people who dont like that kind of thing, if i have to go through a space combat scene everytime i want to go to a different planet ( that ive allready been to, i dont mind if its the first time ) is something that would start annoying me. On the other hand it is something that could totally suprise me if it would be done well.

On the part of player housing, i've not played an mmo that has it so it looks great, but like the things that were said on the podcasts and the recent gamebreaker segment with brooks it is something that does scare me of how much you can actually do on them, it seems to take alot of staples out of the multiplayer part of the game, and it doesnt seem unlikely that you will have acces to something like an Auction House from your ship.

Overal great episode guys, keep it up. Looking forward to the next one.
Btw. Zach looks weird without a beanie for some reason

Outlander
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Outlander » 03 Mar 2011, 18:22

Another awesome episode guys!

I think space combat is going to be a lot of fun the 1st few times, but after awhile it may get annoying depending on how often we have to do it. But like Zach said we don't know what Bioware has in store for the future. although if its anything like star fox or rogue squadron ill be more than happy with space combat >_>
"Your focus determines your reality."
~Qui-Gon Jinn

EwokGenocide
Initiate
Initiate

Post by EwokGenocide » 04 Mar 2011, 03:28

Star fox 64 was my favorite space combat game, nice clips.

rokudan
Padawan
Padawan

Post by rokudan » 04 Mar 2011, 11:53

For space combat I miss Rogue Squadron. For space tactical combat if anyone remembers Homeworld thats a great game.

Zach
Master
Master

Post by Zach » 04 Mar 2011, 13:57

rokudan wrote:For space combat I miss Rogue Squadron. For space tactical combat if anyone remembers Homeworld thats a great game.

I love Homeworld. I remember Brooks and I had this lan one time where we played Homeworld and crashed the game because we had too many starships in combat at the same time. I think there were about 8 people playing the game.

vinnypop
Knight
Knight

Post by vinnypop » 04 Mar 2011, 14:25

Home world to this day is one of the best RTS games I've ever played. i actually replayed both of those games a week or so back... so good. i do hope they make another. (both games run real janky on windows 7)

but i am excited to get some tunnel shooter action. though i do hope some day i can fly a different ship, i would love to be able to go to Mandal motors or to the Correlian ship yards and by a ship, or (finger crossed) be able to some day make ships! However, im ok with waiting for a while to get that. And alas this is not eve, or even STO so if thats not in the mix so be it.
"To break the mold does not prove genius, it merely shows you can break things."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"sir the rebels are here!"
"well, what do they want?"
"I don't know sir, but they brought a flag..."

Outlander
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Outlander » 04 Mar 2011, 17:48

vinnypop wrote:Home world to this day is one of the best RTS games I've ever played. i actually replayed both of those games a week or so back... so good. i do hope they make another. (both games run real janky on windows 7)

but i am excited to get some tunnel shooter action. though i do hope some day i can fly a different ship, i would love to be able to go to Mandal motors or to the Correlian ship yards and by a ship, or (finger crossed) be able to some day make ships! However, im ok with waiting for a while to get that. And alas this is not eve, or even STO so if thats not in the mix so be it.

That would be awesome to fly around the galaxy in your ship, however building a custom ship may be a little far-fetched (but would be really could if we could). Ship based pvp would be really fun as well, kinda like the star war battlefront set up:

But yet again that may be a little out there, still would be really could if they could work that into an expansion.
"Your focus determines your reality."
~Qui-Gon Jinn