Open Bounty 003: Space Combat

Discuss past episodes of Open Bounty here!
Brooks
Master
Master

Open Bounty 003: Space Combat

Post by Brooks » 02 Mar 2011, 16:40

Space Combat has been one of the most divisive features so far announced for Star Wars The Old Republic. While many fans desire to see space included in the game, some have reservations about the "tunnel-shooter" style that will be present at launch. On this week's Open Bounty we take a look at what space combat means for Star Wars, as well as the importance of player ships beyond battle.

vinnypop
Knight
Knight

Re: Open Bounty 003: Space Combat

Post by vinnypop » 02 Mar 2011, 17:36

FIRST!!!!!!!...

jk any way good show guys, loved the blooper!
"To break the mold does not prove genius, it merely shows you can break things."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"sir the rebels are here!"
"well, what do they want?"
"I don't know sir, but they brought a flag..."

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 02 Mar 2011, 17:58

Another excellent video gentlemen!

I couldn't agree more about allowing BioWare the space and time to create an amazing "ship" experience and then allow for tweaking and additions through patches and expansions. I trust them and their expertise much more than my opinion at this point.

Bottom line: I am ready for some exciting news from Pax East and in coming Fan Fridays.

Keep up the good work my friends!

- Alan

CRRKathy
Padawan
Padawan

Post by CRRKathy » 02 Mar 2011, 18:49

Good conversation. Loved all the video clips from the different games!

It's a timely topic because that Space Combat poll thread is alive and jumping, and I think they re-jiggered it so you can vote again. Significantly, the unhappy people have pulled ahead of the happy people. Originally, the ones happy with space combat were winning by a pretty significant margin. I think the Unhappies will continue to pull ahead as more traditional MMOers/gamers start to join the forums and get a chance to vote.
Host, Corellian Run Radio. Kathy, Carla & Roxanne give their unique perspective on SWTOR through lively discussion and humor segments. Check us out at http://www.corellianrun.com.

Agoris
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Agoris » 02 Mar 2011, 18:59

Yea when I get passionate about space combat it's not that I hate what they've shown us. It's good for what it is. Graphics are hot and I'm sure it'll be fun the problem is I don't think it's fair calling it "Space Combat." It's been described as a distraction or break from the normal stuff they are doing on the ground and even Zack said it himself. It's a "Mini-game" and I'm cool with that.

All in all I think it'll be fun. I do hope they expand it in the future. Can't wait to "Get in hang out in that area and feel it for myself" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steven
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Steven » 02 Mar 2011, 20:59

I'm happy with what space combat will be at launch. I'd rather see it a mini game and done well, then full blown and poorly done to rush it and get it in the game. If it stays a mini game and never changes that's fine, if it grows with patches/DLC/expansions, then that's cool too. It already looks like it will be quick and epic, which is more then I was expecting. I figured no space flight of any kind at launch, memories of SWG.

I don't think the game would feel like Star Wars if there wasn't some space flight in it, and this is a Bioware game, an RPG with a story, not a flight sim. I think they picked the right thing to do, give us just enough of a taste to make it feel like Star Wars, and not like SWG did before JTL, which felt like UO/EQ in space, as people used to call it.

That said, I wasn't a huge fan of JTL, it was grindy, boring, felt lacking, and space was empty for the most part. However, I played X-Wing and Tie Fighter, when they were new, and loved them. Now, redo those games, and add in a Bioware style story, with a pilot moving thru the ranks of the Alliance and Empire, that would be epic. What a wonderful dream, that will never happen.

BenNighthawk
Master
Master

Post by BenNighthawk » 02 Mar 2011, 21:54

About to watch it now, but I just need one more post to make 300 so.....

BenNighthawk
Master
Master

Post by BenNighthawk » 02 Mar 2011, 21:55

7th!!!!!!

HAHA!!!! With that I know am the first non-host to reach the rank of "Master" and earned another Light Saber above my pic. I am such a geek!!!

Naisho
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Naisho » 03 Mar 2011, 00:23

Wow!! you found footage of universe online

I was part of that original community, unfortunately it blew up early in development and the company died as they couldn't find a publisher to back them up.

syllepsis
Knight
Knight

Post by syllepsis » 03 Mar 2011, 06:41

CRRKathy wrote:Good conversation. Loved all the video clips from the different games!

^^^^ Completely agree.

Also good score on getting those video clips to act as comparisons. Very impressed by the footage from Stargate showing the versatility of the hero engine for 'true' 3D flying.

I honestly don't think free flying should be in the game. The game needs to be focused on player characters and on the story, use of abilities, and interactions that go along with that. I'm stoked that there will be some space combat, since that will increase the immersive experience and will act as a change of pace. But I do not think that TOR should be a flight simulator in addition to being an MMORPG.