Open Bounty 002: Warzones

Discuss past episodes of Open Bounty here!
Brooks
Master
Master

Open Bounty 002: Warzones

Post by Brooks » 11 Feb 2011, 11:53

PvP is a staple of the MMO genre. When you're not taking on epic bosses in a dungeon, you're probably going toe to toe with other players in a battleground. In this episode of Open Bounty, we take a look at what PvP means for Star Wars, and what challenges Bioware has to face in order to make flashpoints an exciting experience that keeps players coming back.

Alan
Master
Master

Re: Open Bounty 002: Warzones

Post by Alan » 11 Feb 2011, 12:35

How long did it take you guys to thaw out after the shoot? LOL!

vinnypop
Knight
Knight

Post by vinnypop » 11 Feb 2011, 14:32

it was a cool episode but you should have lit a fire in that camp stove, yall looked cold.

great commentary, though once we know more about pvp you might have to revisit this topic.
"To break the mold does not prove genius, it merely shows you can break things."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"sir the rebels are here!"
"well, what do they want?"
"I don't know sir, but they brought a flag..."

Peterisjustok
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peterisjustok » 11 Feb 2011, 15:01

Once Again, Nicely Done Gentleman.

Question for you two (and others if they're so inclined): You spoke to point about Hoth being a massive battle between two opposing forces, but we also had the chance to focus in on the individuals turning the tide in battle. My questions from that is, would you guys like to see a lot NPC interactivity to make the battles seems larger? Or do you think that just hinders the gameplay for the PC's? Should it just be player vs player. Is there a happy medium?

And another question: If you would like the battles to seem more epic and cinematic, would you prefer these battlegrounds to very large in scale, with enemies meeting in the middle? (I'm talking really big... Bigger than AV big). Or would you like to keep the maps small so the action is more condensed?

Thanks Again for taking a new approach of presenting the information. I feel like Open Bounty is a great addition to your SWTOR arsenal.

Brooks
Master
Master

Post by Brooks » 11 Feb 2011, 17:21

Peterisjustok wrote:Question for you two (and others if they're so inclined): You spoke to point about Hoth being a massive battle between two opposing forces, but we also had the chance to focus in on the individuals turning the tide in battle. My questions from that is, would you guys like to see a lot NPC interactivity to make the battles seems larger? Or do you think that just hinders the gameplay for the PC's? Should it just be player vs player. Is there a happy medium?

I'm plenty comfortable with what we've seen so far. That is, the 8v8 objective-based warzones. My thought (which actually started as Zach's thought) about the bigger, massive battles, is related to how the warzone fits into the story.

The only issue when you introduce heavy NPC interaction that I can see is timing. We talked about this a bit back when there was some speculation regarding PvPvE. Bascially, if you add in dialog and other things we've seen Bioware do with NPCs, there's a chance that the sense of urgency from the combat is completely lost.

I'm not sure if there's a solid answer...I'm no game designer after all. But I like the direction they've shown us so far.

kenzosan
Knight
Knight

Post by kenzosan » 11 Feb 2011, 18:34

id love to have an epic fight combining npcs and pcs. battlefront did it great.
one of the most iconic scenes was vader hiring a bunch of faceless and nameless guys. ever since iv wanted to be a Bounty Hunter!

bmartin717
Initiate
Initiate

Post by bmartin717 » 11 Feb 2011, 23:34

I really enjoy the new open bounty series. I would really like to see them offer something like city of heroes and allow you to have dual spec's for your character. That way you can spend time leveling one character and have one spec/gear for pve content and then another spec/gear for pvp. City of Heroes actually has quite a few nice features that I hope they use that I didn't realize many other mmog's didn't have until just recently. Maybe that's just the CoH fan boy in me talking.

mederlin
Padawan
Padawan

Post by mederlin » 12 Feb 2011, 11:50

Hey Guys first time poster here. Great podcasts! I absolutely love the video casts that you have just recently added.

Personally I enjoy world PvP more than I do the Warzones, however with the Warzones being more story and objective driven that might change. When I did enter a PvP area in other MMO’s I have always been about the “objective” more so than the “Kill’em all” attitude some others may have had. Some of the most fun I can remember having is in PvP areas back while I was playing DAoC. In WoW though I was always drawn to the fight when some level 60(and above later on) Gnome felt the need to pick on the newbie’s out at the Crossroads.

Again Great podcasts! Keep up the Great work!

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 12 Feb 2011, 15:02

Welcome to the MER community mederlin! Make yourself at home. :D

HereticZero
Padawan
Padawan

Post by HereticZero » 13 Feb 2011, 09:38

Hey Brooks. Just watched the first two episodes of Open Bounty and gotta say it's pretty cool. I'm like you when it comes to the role I like to play. I like to be the tank as well. Something you mentioned in episode 2 that I also brought up at JAO a while back... tank "spec" being viable in PvP. That has been and will be my biggest fear for the game until I can get my hands on it. Few games have gotten it right. Warhammer did a meh job of it and DAOC had it pretty good.

I just hope bioware can do something for PvP to make Jedi Guardians and Trooper Vanguard playable and not just something enemy players can ignore and walk away from because they don't deal enough damage to be a threat.