Open Bounty - New video podcast from MER

Discuss past episodes of Open Bounty here!
Outlander
Padawan
Padawan

Re: Open Bounty - New video podcast from MER

Post by Outlander » 26 Jan 2011, 13:55

That was pretty awesome, really looking forward to later episodes!

I'm actually still debating what class that ill be choosing, I keep bouncing back from the Smuggler, the Trooper, and the Jedi Consular. Like Brooks, I've always picked the plate wearing tank archetype mainly because everyone needs a tank and their fun to play as in lowbie PvP. But I'm worried about picking the trooper, because like the warrior class back in vainilla wow if you picked the dps spec; you sucked, great for pvp but your dps wasnt that good. And thats why im worried about picking the Trooper, I don't want to be forced to play as the tanking advanced class because the Vanguard advanced class has bad dps ( which may not be the case, but it very well could be).

But people who are fans of the original movies see "storm troopers" in the Trooper class, and prolly go "oh god..why would I pick that class? over a jedi?" . But people who watch the clone wars shows are prolly thinking, "oh awesome, i get to be a kick ass soldier who takes down EVERYTHING". I don't know if all people see it like that, but from the people I've talk to thats the general answer i get.

This may have already been talked about, but Zach what class are you wanting to play as? and why?
"Your focus determines your reality."
~Qui-Gon Jinn

Acaulescent
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Acaulescent » 26 Jan 2011, 14:33

As most have said, digging the casual atmosphere. I liked how Zack was all scruffy looking and both of you were just in casual attire for the most part (where you even wearing shoes Zach?), the whole couch thing was cool but not to sure about the couch ordeal being a consistent video scene. I also loved having the video gameplay/screenies pop up while you guys were talking.

Now what I didn't like (and I'm sure you guys are already aware of this, you seem spot on with what you're doing but I feel I need to share this regardless). Camera angles. The first b&w camera angle was a crotch up shot of brooks. First thing I said to myself was "Why the f*ck am I being forced to look up from Brooks crotch?" Also, seemed almost 99% of the b&w camera shots, the camera was shaky as hell. Not sure if that was intended, but if it was, it's annoying (imo). Shaky camera usually reeks of amateur (no offense to the camera people, just saying it like it is).

I also noticed how the color was changing and Zach, you already mentioned that you're aware of it But it was almost kinda cool, a bit indecisive on that. Another thing, the zooming in and out was kinda awkward. At one point, they zoomed into Zach and within seconds Brooks started talking, which annoyed me. If both of you are discussing and not having a one on one with the camera (or the topic), I feel that both should be in the video. Another thing, when Brooks had his one on one about the trooper and the trooper video came into screen, he was pushed to the left, which is fine, but what annoyed me is that his face was moving in and out of frame and at one point, only half his face was being shown which I thought was annoying. Gotta keep your whole head in the frame when you guys do things like that.

Now, overall, I know it's your first one and it's rough, but I really enjoyed the video a lot. It's really an awesome idea and once you guys get it to how you like it, I'm sure it'll be top notch. Don't hate on me for my criticism, I'm only trying to help ;). I really can't wait to see the next one.

Brooks
Master
Master

Post by Brooks » 26 Jan 2011, 14:54

Thanks for the feedback Acaulescent! We're actually right on track with most of the things you noticed and commented on...camera angles (the b&w shots were actually from my iPhone), zooms, etc. We're very proud of the overall product, but this is still a new venture for us, so it's definitely been a process figuring out best practices for production.

Acaulescent
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Acaulescent » 26 Jan 2011, 15:24

Brooks wrote:Thanks for the feedback Acaulescent! We're actually right on track with most of the things you noticed and commented on...camera angles (the b&w shots were actually from my iPhone), zooms, etc. We're very proud of the overall product, but this is still a new venture for us, so it's definitely been a process figuring out best practices for production.

I knew you guys were probably all over that but I felt I need to share for the sake of sharing. As you gents know, meant no disrespect, was just giving some 'constructive criticism' ;).

Brooks
Master
Master

Post by Brooks » 26 Jan 2011, 15:39

Acaulescent wrote:I knew you guys were probably all over that but I felt I need to share for the sake of sharing. As you gents know, meant no disrespect, was just giving some 'constructive criticism' ;).

I'm glad you did! I can't speak for Zach, but in the past I've always created content in a box, without any reference from the outside world. It's incredibly helpful to have such a huge community to point out places we can improve.

r2d2arm
Padawan
Padawan

Post by r2d2arm » 30 Jan 2011, 17:38

Finally had a chance to watch this and enjoyed it! There are a few improvements that could be made, mostly all that I was going to make have already been stated (camera angles / location). I would like to see different locations for future Open Bounty episodes. Overall, good start and looking forward to future episodes.
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Grand Master Yoda

EndlessJoe
Initiate
Initiate

Post by EndlessJoe » 02 Feb 2011, 13:06

Very nice work! I like the format and think it will be a nice supplement to the audio podcast! Keep up the good work and if I've learned anything from TV & movies... Well, lets just say that the woman at the end of the video and others like her should be in more of your future videos!

Savich
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Savich » 10 Feb 2011, 13:22

The new video podcast is awesome! Keep up the great work guys!

bmartin717
Initiate
Initiate

Post by bmartin717 » 11 Feb 2011, 00:31

Loved the video pod guys! I have a short attention span and easily get lost and lose track of the topic of conversation after 30 or 40 min on the podcast unless I pause and pick it back up after. Really enjoyed the short and direct video podcast though. I hope you guys can continue to make these. Very nice work.

Eriph
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Eriph » 12 Feb 2011, 21:58

Like the Legend of Zelda shield on the wall at the end of the video. BTW awesome video, can't wait for the next ones.
The Tiefighter was the original lol see ---> l-o-l