Open Bounty - New video podcast from MER

Discuss past episodes of Open Bounty here!
Alan
Master
Master

Re: Open Bounty - New video podcast from MER

Post by Alan » 21 Jan 2011, 19:21

Brooks wrote:
Alan wrote:Good stuff gentlemen. I hope you stick to the 10 minute supplemental video-cast and don't go full video all the time. The beauty of MER is being able to listen to it as I work, play WoW, exercise etc.

That's exactly our plan!

Excellent! I knew I liked you Brooks! LOL!

Zach
Master
Master

Post by Zach » 21 Jan 2011, 21:30

Hey everyone,

First off thank you for all of the compliments and feedback. There are a lot of things in this video that you will hopefully never see again (Basically all of my screw ups). There were some settings turned on the main camera which constantly auto-balanced the color. We could have re-shot everything but felt like since this was a pilot everyone would understand. Also I made a lot of stupid mistakes like misspelling our friends name and our website. I think that was the big reason why I wanted to just post this video on the forums because I felt like you guys could see past those little things and look at the bigger picture.

I realized after putting a lot of time into this that it would be best to make a solid video and see if its something you guys would like us to continue before investing anymore time into it. Like I mentioned earlier think of it as a pilot to a new series. I am glad to see you guys are enjoying it, which means we will continue to do more along with the podcast. Doing these past couple of videos has taught me so much personally about recording and editing so I look forward to exploring new and different ideas. Also if there is a topic you would like to see us cover we are all ears.

Like Brooks said are going to try and keep it to a 10-15 minute discussion. We feel like asking someone to watch a video demands a lot of their time. Its not something you can just turn on and walk away, unlike listening to the podcast. So we plan on just taking a random topic and discussing for a little bit in each episode. Also it allows us to really approach this game as fans and not people trying to cover the latest news stories. We feel there are many other sites out there far better than ours if you want to get that information.

I can't say enough how glad I am to see you all enjoyed them and hope to start working on the next one soon. Thank you everyone again for your feedback.

Braio wrote:
Zack - like the toque, go longhorns. And I'm Canadian so that's saying something. Is that your
wife in the end of it, gorgeous girl man, congratz.

I hate to disappoint you but I am wearing my UT hat as in the University of Tennessee Volunteers. I am a die-hard Vols fan and bleed orange. I can easily see how you thought it was a longhorns hat though. :P Oh and yes that is my beautiful wife at the end. She did a great job helping us out with camera work that day.

BenNighthawk
Master
Master

Post by BenNighthawk » 21 Jan 2011, 21:32

F to the A guys. Great video and a great idea for the podcasts. I think I speak for all the forum members when I say we would like to see some Brooks vs. Zach Kinect DDR. See you on the battlefield!

Zach
Master
Master

Post by Zach » 21 Jan 2011, 21:35

BenNighthawk wrote:F to the A guys. Great video and a great idea for the podcasts. I think I speak for all the forum members when I say we would like to see some Brooks vs. Zach Kinect DDR. See you on the battlefield!

True, but that would take away from our Battlefield Bad Company 2 playing time. :P

vinnypop
Knight
Knight

Post by vinnypop » 21 Jan 2011, 23:55

Bad company 2!!!! you guy play the Vietnam pack?
"To break the mold does not prove genius, it merely shows you can break things."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"sir the rebels are here!"
"well, what do they want?"
"I don't know sir, but they brought a flag..."

Zach
Master
Master

Post by Zach » 22 Jan 2011, 18:19

Hey ed,

I can tell you that we are pretty much on the same wave length here. We have already taken steps to get additional camera angles in upcoming videos. I agree that we need fixed cameras that are focused on each hosts to offer more shots to work with.

Also the sound thing is something we are working on. We honestly wanted to record in another location but things didn't work out that day. We have an idea of what we are going to do for the location from here on out. We never really wanted to have us sit on the coach for a lot of reasons but it just worked out that day for what we wanted.

Also the sound is a concern of ours that we think we will fix by the next episode. First off the room we were in has really tall ceilings that make it sound really weird. Also the shotgun mic on the camera recording our conversations is going to be much closer the next time we record. We are going to try this first to see if it fixes the issues before going into another recording method.

So I think its safe to say your concerns will be met. Thank you for your feedback. I can't wait to record our next episode and I think you will like what we have in store.

skirata
Master
Master

Post by skirata » 23 Jan 2011, 16:53

First things first: I was psyched to see a Red Sox sign on the wall. We bleed red and blue around these parts.

Jennifer Hale does great VO work. I played through both ME games again with a female Shepard after my friend clued me in to how much better she acts Shepard than Mark Meer. I plan to play a Trooper in TOR and will probably go with a "GI Jane" so that I can listen to Jennifer Hale speak for me.

Brooks, it's been said by others, but seriously... NO LEGOS? What's next? Are you going to reveal the first time you ever saw Transformers was in the Michael Bay films, or that you've never seen Ghostbusters???

Keep up the good work guys, I love the video!

Zach
Master
Master

Post by Zach » 24 Jan 2011, 09:57

Edwyrmhyde wrote:First, I'd like to say you do not have to explain yourself, Zach. I know you guys are doing your best and what you are doing with your videocast is a work in progress. Everything I said was nothing more that a list of suggestions and not to be taken to heart. Everyone loved your Video Podcast and I consider myself an advocate of the majority.

You guys really are doing great things and we really do appreciate your efforts. Never feel like you have to justify your actions, because those actions prove the validity of your efforts.

Not that I don't like listening to Darth Hater, because I do (for the most-part) but I really can't see how you didn't beat the pants off them in the "best fansite podcast" poll on the official website forums. Seriously, you guys are insurmountably more informative and delightful to listen to- not to mention you don't mispronounce everything. Even your opening theme music kicks their's shamelessly. My favorite tied with Torocast's music.

-Ed

First off thank you for the compliments. I guess I was just posting all of that to show that we are thinking the same things in terms of direction. Also we really didn't let that poll bother us. We weren't surprised because we find the majority of our listeners don't use the official SWTOR forums. You guys make putting all the work into the podcast and videocast worth it.

Adaram
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Adaram » 24 Jan 2011, 11:38

Hey guys. You already know this, but I think this video cast was awesome! I loved the casual nature. Your camera people did awesome!

The red couch is awesome. I think it needs to somehow be incorporated in the theme, name, etc. It rocked. It was really nice seeing faces. Now when I listen to the podcast, I'll be able to see you guys too (I think that's a good thing :p)

And yeah, someone already said it, so I can say it too. Zach, your wife is beautiful. Make sure you tell her that every day!!

Peterisjustok
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Peterisjustok » 24 Jan 2011, 19:13

Zach! Brother! No reason to get down on yourself. That's some top notch stuff dude in grand scheme of things. You weren't given a huge budget, a laundry list of crew members, and all the time in the world. We all understand that, and I didn't know what to expect... but it wasn't that. Thank you for the fluid editing, the nice camera work, and the use of archived clips to tie directly to what you are discussing. It is a solid way to approach each of these "vignettes". And it was a great first episode.

I hope both you guys are proud of this feat. I'm amazed at anyone's ability to create in such a venue as you guys are doing. So thanks for establishing a new approach to share in our communal passion of SWTOR!

In other news, I understand you guys don't want to make this too public due to little hiccups, but why don't you post it on the main page? I didn't even see it until now, and I go to the site everyday. You should definitely promote this. It's fine work.