Episode 39: Pile of Dead Gungans

Discuss the most recent episodes of Mos Eisley Radio here!
Kimarhri
Master
Master

Re: Episode 39: Pile of Dead Gungans

Post by Kimarhri » 26 May 2011, 15:47

Good episode, but there is one thing that bothers me I think and that is how WoW can't compare to this game. In a way, you can't really talk about an MMO without World of Warcraft being mentioned somewhere. But I feel it's mentioned far too often.

I felt there was too much biased against the questing in WoW. In Cataclysm, the 1-60 leveling zones changed drastically that they can barely be related to what it was before the expansion. The whole " gather 10 apples for me and that's it" type of questing is barely present anywhere now. Every zone and questing has reasons for the stuff you do, not like it was Vanilla where you just kill things for no reason. For example, leveling through Westfall is completely changed around. You start the zone off with the murder of two farmers and you span the investigation across the whole zone that leads into where a secret rebel faction uprisings against the sole settlement and you see fighting everywhere.

That's just one piece that is really done well. Leveling is can't really be compared that much because WoW is going to be 7 years old this year. Of course Star Wars will be better because they learned from what made WoW such a success. I just feel there is too much mention of WoW in the podcast that is negative and almost a little fanboyish.

Keep up the good work though.

Snodge
Master
Master

Post by Snodge » 26 May 2011, 15:51

Regarding power levelling - in my opinion, the journey should be as, if not more, important than the destination. If there is a widespread desire to bypass content to reach the maximum level, then this to me would suggest that there is some kind of issue with the levelling content.
It may be a symptom of using levels as an indication of progress, but if there was some way of being able to compete and contribute to goals available at the maximum level, then I believe that the need or desire to power level would diminish.

As for people playing characters of the opposite sex, it really doesn't matter. Seeing how the majority of characters are not even human, I feel makes it somewhat a moot point. Objecting to someone playing like this, while accepting the fact that the game contains elements which are either impossible or highly improbable in real life, seems really daft to me. Personally, I play games to escape from reality for a little while; chopping people, little furry animals and so on into little pieces I would assume to be of more concern than the fact that the character in game doing this is of opposite sex to the person playing! By extension, would you also object to someone playing an orc or Miraluka because the character is green and the person playing is not?! Also, my female Blood Elf Mage is hot! :D
@Snodgethebodge
f: Hugh Jones
Google+
MSI 790FX-GD70 Mainboard || AMD Phenom X4 965 || 8gb RAM || 1gb ATI 5870 Radeon || 256gb SSD + 250gb SATA2 || Asus Xonar Xense Soundcard || Win 7 x64 SP1

rmorse
Padawan
Padawan

Post by rmorse » 26 May 2011, 16:44

Now that I am done with the whole Episode here are my thoughts in no special order, but bulleted so I keep track of where I am. :)

Buying Gold: I have done this myself in the past, do I think it's a big deal not really. Some times you just don't have the time to farm it up your self or the current hot tradeskill to make the money. I don't plan to buy gold in TOR but I also can not say with 100% certainty that I will not. I don't have an issue with those that do.

Glowing Eyes: What ever I did not see it, and I am not sure if I would care if it was there as long as it was not a constant "on" type of deal.

Power Leveling: Never liked the idea of having it done for me at all. Always felt I would miss out on the basics of playing the class if I let some one else do the work for me. So yea loser for sure on this one just because you miss out on so much when you don't level your on character.

Gold Begging: Annoying as all get out but thats why I love the /ignore list :)

Gender Benders: Hey thats what I call them :P I never cared at all. Heck my wife plays all male toons as she always thinks the females look to weak for her. So I really don't care on this one at all.

Great show over all, loved the ending Freudian slip with Jawas, I almost snorted an M&M ;)
Raymond
-------------
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Outlander
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Outlander » 26 May 2011, 17:29

Close Evan, but no cigar lol.

But thats great news, the fact that you can actually remember the NPC's involved is awesome. I hope at least a majority of the quest are like the ones you told us about.

MMO loser...I love it. People who buy/sell gold don't seem to realize that are RUINING the servers economy. Now paying for a power leveling service is different but if your paying someone to play the game for you..why did you even buy the game?

Now people who beg for gold are normally little kids, and its way easier just to /ignore them than it is to tell them no. Now I have a couple female toons, but not for the typical reason lol. My reasoning is that female characters look better and fit the role of the cloth wearing classes like a mage or warlock.
"Your focus determines your reality."
~Qui-Gon Jinn

rmorse
Padawan
Padawan

Post by rmorse » 26 May 2011, 17:36

Outlander wrote:People who buy/sell gold don't seem to realize that are RUINING the servers economy.

Not always true, most of the people I knew who bought gold spent it again right away. They were just lazy raiders. They were really just putting the gold back into circulation. Now I will admit that the last time I bought gold it was for the express purpose of having seed money so I could take over an AH. But for me the AH game was my favorite part of WoW at the end.
Raymond
-------------
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

CRRKathy
Padawan
Padawan

Post by CRRKathy » 26 May 2011, 18:23

There are many philosophical reasons to be against gold selling, but the main reason you should be against it is because GOLD SELLING SUPPORTS ACCOUNT HACKERS.

If you think account hacking is bad, then there is no way you should not have a problem with gold selling. It's like saying you don't have a problem with people breaking into other people's houses and stealing their stuff to sell on the street.

That story about Chinese prisoners being forced to play MMOs to collect gold was very Kafka-esque haha.

On the players playing opposite gender toons issue -- honestly, I've seen it happen so much, I don't even blink an eye at it anymore. My husband often plays female toons (come ON, Fem Shep ROCKS), and I very occasionally do too. Also, in my WoW experience, female toons tended to be played by guys, not gals.
Host, Corellian Run Radio. Kathy, Carla & Roxanne give their unique perspective on SWTOR through lively discussion and humor segments. Check us out at http://www.corellianrun.com.

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 26 May 2011, 18:29

CRRKathy wrote:There are many philosophical reasons to be against gold selling, but the main reason you should be against it is because GOLD SELLING SUPPORTS ACCOUNT HACKERS.

If you think account hacking is bad, then there is no way you should not have a problem with gold selling. It's like saying you don't have a problem with people breaking into other people's houses and stealing their stuff to sell on the street.

I agree with Kathy 100%. You may have earned real-life money at a real-life job, but to then buy virtual currency with it impacts other gamers like us. If I spent hours and hours farming to make in-game currency legitimately, but Hacker X then hacks my account to support his gold selling website, you cannot say there aren't victims to buying gold. It's pure supply and demand principles.

If players stopped buying gold altogether then the demand for Authenticators, Gold-Locks and the like would disappear.

It is a frustrating phenomenon to say the least. :x

- Alan

Rakshasa
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Rakshasa » 26 May 2011, 18:55

Crackerbox wrote:My preference for female characters started with fighting games where female characters are usually faster moving, but hit softer than male characters.
This! I've always been a finesse-type over brawn. Playing a character isn't just about looks, but feel.
Example (FFXI): I mainly play a Mithra -- feline warrior women. I love their style, their grace, their stance. I look at Hume (Human) women and scoff. They're, well, girly. I laugh at how they run and how they fight -- acceptable for mages, but irritating for hardened adventurers. I swap over to a Hume male and feel slow and less capable. I even feel like I run slower, which I know not to be the case.
There is no one good reason to play an opposite sex character. One reason I am fond of (regarding males who play female): less limitation. You seldom, if ever, see an all-male guild, but see plenty of all-female. Girl Guilds know there's likely to be plenty of guys playing the gals (and often are formed by either sex). One less limitation. I've also found that players who embrace fantasy over reality tend to be less close-minded and more 'playful' -- the kind of people I'd rather be around.

Snodge wrote:Regarding power levelling - in my opinion, the journey should be as, if not more, important than the destination. If there is a widespread desire to bypass content to reach the maximum level, then this to me would suggest that there is some kind of issue with the levelling content.
It may be a symptom of using levels as an indication of progress, but if there was some way of being able to compete and contribute to goals available at the maximum level, then I believe that the need or desire to power level would diminish.
This, also, whole-heartedly agree. If "the game starts when you hit max level," why not make us max level to start...? I hate that. I'm fine with 'starting the game' mid-level, after players have learned the game. Can't do much in WoW before 10/20. Same with FFXI before 30, Eve before learning some decent skills, and so forth. The primary reason I've stuck with FFXI is for its awesome and personal storylines, which begin the moment you start the game, adding additional, even better storylines along the way.

Outlander
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Outlander » 26 May 2011, 19:06

rmorse wrote:
Outlander wrote:People who buy/sell gold don't seem to realize that are RUINING the servers economy.

Not always true, most of the people I knew who bought gold spent it again right away. They were just lazy raiders. They were really just putting the gold back into circulation. Now I will admit that the last time I bought gold it was for the express purpose of having seed money so I could take over an AH. But for me the AH game was my favorite part of WoW at the end.

That may be true, but think about the majority of players who buy gold. They're the casual players that don't have time to spend grinding for gold in their ree time; so the next best option is to buy it. And these players aren't spending the gold on repairs, they're sending it on mats and AH gear which makes people increase their prices. So, people who play the game legitimately are almost screwed in the situation.

But I'm not saying that people who buy gold are terrible people, I'm just saying that they need to know that what they are doing to other players experiences with whatever game.
"Your focus determines your reality."
~Qui-Gon Jinn

Twohearted
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Twohearted » 26 May 2011, 19:31

First time listener here. Great podcast!

You have to keep MMO Loser, it is perfect!