Episode 31: Instanced

Discuss the most recent episodes of Mos Eisley Radio here!
Alan
Master
Master

Re: Episode 31: Instanced

Post by Alan » 23 Feb 2011, 12:39

Good thoughts Sly! I sent you a PM by the way. Keep the ideas coming!
- Alan

Haines4113
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Haines4113 » 07 Mar 2011, 18:21

*Apology if this problem has already been addressed or even solved in a previous MMO.

One thing that wasn't really touched on is how the time line between different players will work in an instance. What i mean by that is, if i am a sith warrior and decide to blow up a base at the end of the instance then that base is blown up for good because i know they mentioned decisions effecting story forever. Yet, if one of my friends who is a sith warrior, or even an inquisitor, has the same instance what would happen?

I would guess they would just let me assist him in beating the instance and it wouldn't effect my story at all even if he decided to save the base at the end. This seems like the most logical way of making it work so that only the person who actually starts the instance is effected in terms of story and the others simply play through it for loot and experience.

On the other hand, i know they are really pushing the team conversation system which seems very cool but could possibly contradict the theory i had above. Because if i am already partied up with a friend while i talk with the person who sends me on the instance then......well, idk what would happen exactly which is why im confused.

syllepsis
Knight
Knight

Post by syllepsis » 07 Mar 2011, 20:49

Haines,

Your actions within an instance will affect how NPCs react to you in the world at large. However, if you run the instance again, everything will reset. Only the outcomes from the last time you ran a particular flashpoint will count.

Hope that helps.

Haines4113
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Haines4113 » 07 Mar 2011, 23:37

that makes even more sense than any of the stupid stuff i said....thanks

Dileptor
Master
Master

Post by Dileptor » 08 Mar 2011, 05:20

What you've said isn't stupid.
While this might be true for flashpoints which are repeatable and are only part of the world story arch, it might not work the same way with your class story instances.

I honestly dunno how they've resolved this. Like Haines said. Imagine an instance for your class story. You group up for it with your buddy of the same class. And he/she has already done that instance or is about to do it just as you are. What happens now? Whos's the main character then? Any ideas?

Snodge
Master
Master

Post by Snodge » 08 Mar 2011, 17:12

If you are in a group, and there are dialog options, you will select the option you want, and the game will give you light or dark side points based on that. With that choice, there is also a die-roll, and the game will take the action which has the highest die roll. That way, you will still get alignment points for your choice regardless how the quest plays out.

I suspect that for major story archs the game may be intelligent enough to prioritise responses from those who have not previously completed the quest over those who have, or that you may only be able to do certain quests solo (lightsaber creation for instance) but that's pure speculation.
@Snodgethebodge
f: Hugh Jones
Google+
MSI 790FX-GD70 Mainboard || AMD Phenom X4 965 || 8gb RAM || 1gb ATI 5870 Radeon || 256gb SSD + 250gb SATA2 || Asus Xonar Xense Soundcard || Win 7 x64 SP1

syllepsis
Knight
Knight

Post by syllepsis » 08 Mar 2011, 18:34

Dileptor wrote:I honestly dunno how they've resolved this. Like Haines said. Imagine an instance for your class story. You group up for it with your buddy of the same class. And he/she has already done that instance or is about to do it just as you are. What happens now? Whos's the main character then? Any ideas?

Just look at the doorway to the 'instanced' area for class quests. If it's green, it's yours, blue it's your friends, and red you cannot go in.