Episode 29 - Forum Assault

Discuss the most recent episodes of Mos Eisley Radio here!
kenzosan
Knight
Knight

Re: Episode 29 - Forum Assault

Post by kenzosan » 14 Jan 2011, 14:07

Blackferne wrote:The 12m*$15 is not accurate. ~$15/mo is appropriate marginal rate for North America, Australia and Europe, but in Asia the pay to play rates are much different. Keep in mind the per capita income of China is approximately 1/10th of the US so charging $15 to play would exclude a good number of potential customers. Also in Asia they typically pay per session and not by a monthly fee. So the subscriber numbers get a bit murky.

Just trying to help you clarify the numbers some.

thanks, i know, i have to use general numbers though. i still use 15*12m cuz it would take into account all the extra stuff since that and the asian market is speratic.

again, everything is general. i personally dought they have 12m active memebers every month.
one of the most iconic scenes was vader hiring a bunch of faceless and nameless guys. ever since iv wanted to be a Bounty Hunter!

Maylox
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Maylox » 15 Jan 2011, 12:45

First time poster here. Been listening for a good while now.

First with regard to the forum assault. I have seen the Tor forums get nasty over the almost 2 years since I joined to the point I barely read any thread except for the Dev posts and weekly update. The amount of hate and bile I see coming from the forums is staggering. I do enjoy the fact that there are still some threads that are troll free.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=144462 is 1 example. Yes its a shameless plug for a thread I co-wrote but it also encompasses your discussion on PVP. Yes the flaws with this idea is the lack of a 3rd faction that makes this style so exciting and rewarding. But even with a 2 faction system the idea that this idea is fluid, not guard camping like in WAR, and not instanced, timed like we see in WOW, on the PVE servers would feed the hunger of all the PVP junkies.

Anyway I like the fact that Bioware does not want to take the WOW members away, that might lend itself to a better in game community as well, or the way BW is doing the game, I am hoping will not make the game a gear centric Epeen fest like WOW. Now yes I KNOW there will be gear upgrades in this game. All MMO, for the most part, have some form of gear progression, whether it be implants that make you stronger like we see in Anarchy Online, or other games where you get gear for rewards from quests or playermade. Also as long as the highest gear isn't given out for free like we saw in WOTLK then we should see less people running around being D-bags about the whole thing. I have been playing these kinds of games since 2001/2002 shortly after DAOC launched.

I am by no means a leet player. I am the guy who is normally playing catch up, level and gearwise. 1 thing I do well tho is play my role in the group, whether it be tank, healer, or dps. So the remark about the guy who asks others why they can't play their character right or learned their character is not really trolling or leetist in nature I think. If more people knew their rolls and how their power output worked we wouldn't have a need for the extreme amounts of mods we see in WOW today with regards to DPS meters or threat meters. So I see that as being a good thing knowing how to play your character and have had no problems in the past booting people or seeing people booted or being booted myself for an off night, or just not playing their character correct and pulling mobs off the tank or being the tank and not being able to hold aggro.

But I am old school and have been told for a while to take my rose tinted glasses off. That I am a dinosaur...etc I just laugh and rock in my chair and remember when MMO were all niche and not spoon fed.

Anyway I enjoy the show. Keep it up and make more episodes.

Alan
Master
Master

Post by Alan » 15 Jan 2011, 12:53

Welcome aboard Maylox!

Raeth
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Raeth » 20 Jan 2011, 00:10

Greetz Zach & Brooks.

I usually don't post in the forum feedback, because I feel silly saying "Great Job!" and having nothing constructive to add. I will say I've been listening since podcast... 15, but don't expect me to quote anything. But I think the show continues to improve, and also carve a little niche of its own. The format tweaks have been great, because the show seems not to have lost anything while becoming more memorable.

I also want to add, Zach has to be the most memorable person I have heard on a podcast, and funnily, he's memorable for having a bad memory. I find it extremely entertaining listening to him forget what he was saying seemingly mid-sentence, and often interjecting into conversation, only to pause to organise his thoughts. Keep up the... what was it again... oh yeah, great work.

Finally, obviously, thanks for the mention about the Lightsaber colours. You pretty much got my point exactly. I don't think there needs to be reputation grinds as such, but rather some way of dedicating yourself to earning the unusual coloured blade, and making it so that they're not as common as muck. Thanks again.
"The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant."

BenNighthawk
Master
Master

Post by BenNighthawk » 21 Jan 2011, 21:15

Well I finally finished the last episode and once again, Great Job. Always entertaining and easy to listen to. WOW, 5 pages before a post from me. Guess I better get off the BFBC2 and back on here.

kenzosan
Knight
Knight

Post by kenzosan » 23 Jan 2011, 17:41

so its funny, i finally went into the official forums, non dev tracker, and wanted to slap myself. just to kinda pound the final nail in the coffin, they topics there are literally the same topics with a different author... i hate to grief but this just made me /facepalm, and i was re listening to this episode, where you talked about the official forums.
one of the most iconic scenes was vader hiring a bunch of faceless and nameless guys. ever since iv wanted to be a Bounty Hunter!

Agoris
Padawan
Padawan

Post by Agoris » 25 Feb 2011, 15:51

This seems to be the trend with new MMO forums. I was part of the Stargate Worlds community and from day one the Fanboy vs. Doomsayer fights filled the forums. However, it wasn't as bad as SW:TORs I have a real problem recruiting for my guild on those forums. Cause... you know you want the best people and when forums are filled with that kind of... crap... for lack of better terms it makes it very hard to really see any potential in the pool of two fighting parties. I do agree that both sides though, minus a select few on both sides, are guessing or even worse making the stuff up. I know that has to bug the Devs to no end.

Naisho
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Naisho » 27 Feb 2011, 19:16

I had recently listened to this podcast, I realized there was angle to this PVP and PVE servers that meet the needs of both shard and one world servers.

TOR from everything I have seen is a utterly massive game, one world is at least equal to the size of the map of guild wars 1 and probably must larger (mind you mean the map space not playable space which was much smaller). There are currently 17 worlds, on average (from what I can tell) 1 wow realm will have about 15,000 characters to 20,000.

There is no physical way 20,000 toons will be able to fill up 17 SWTOR worlds. What will happen is over populated starting planets and in end game under populated planets everywhere.

This leads me to a single conclusion, the ability to travel between planets is a new functional way to transition between shards. When you decide to land on a planet it asks (PVE or PVP) from there it gives a options of sharp severs to pick. This is the only way (to my mind) that maintain large populations of players across all planets.

I have been wrong before but I don't think the traditional shards can't handle how large this game is, and one world servers can't answer this problem as there are too many players for the number of planets available.